Sunday, June 19, 2011

Fathers Day.

I was lucky to have a smart, caring, and passionate father. There are many things that made him a great Dad, but the most important thing was that he was a great teacher. What I learned from him would fill volumes. I'm still learning things from him. I'm thirty-nine, and just last weekend he taught me how to cut down a tree safely. Over the years he has taught me everything from tying my shoes to finishing concrete to soldering pipe, to flying airplanes. He loves to share his knowledge.

The most important of skills I learned from him were intangible. This weekend we were laughing that he never showed us how to back down. From something we believed in, or really, from anything. He's very stubborn. He made me proud to stand out of a crowd, and to fight for things instead of giving up. He taught that our beliefs make us who we are. As an extension, one of the most important things I learned from him, something that overshadows all else, was how to be myself around people. I don't think I ever saw him put on an act, for anyone.


Also, as a result, I am thankful that he showed my brother and I how to joke, and laugh, and play practical jokes without taking them too far. We had fun in our house, and we still do in my house now, and for that I'm eternally grateful.



Download my first novel, squeakyclean:

I have a PC/iPad/iPhone

I have a Kindle!

3 comments:

  1. That is very heartwarming! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never seeing him put on an act is an oft overlooked but so important lesson. My father never put on an act for anyone, either, and I've never had to question his authenticity. For me, it means valuing myself and having the courage to share that with others.

    ReplyDelete